Tuesday, August 3, 2010

How, when, where? Chocolatier?

It's been happening alot recently, that whenever people find out that I'm in chocolate, the first question they ask is, "How in world did you find your way into that?!" That's a really good question. And the truth is, I'm not exactly sure. Honestly! Quitting my job to become a chocolatier has been the biggest, craziest, scariest, most rewarding, amazing wonderful decision I've ever made - but it all happened so fast that I'm not sure exactly when or how it came about.

The more I think about, the more I find that the desire was there way before I ever dared to say it out loud. My dad would probably say I decided when the cocoa plantation came about. My mom said it was when I read an article in the paper a couple years ago featuring my high school classmate as Trinidad's first bean to bar chocolate maker. (I'm requesting permission to plug here:) Definitely that's where I learned about ecole chocolat. But my devotion to chocolate was present waaaay before then. It's so hard to put into words, my feelings towards chocolate! The mystique, the allure, the beauty... Food, Art; creating them both simultaneously with my own two hands... there! Right there! That thought in its most abstract form has been floating around in my head since ... since always. I may not have known what exactly I wanted to do, but I knew I had to create. Create .. something! Whatever it was, I knew in my bones I had to pour my eveything into being the best - whatever it was - I could possibly be.

So yeah, I guess, I always knew.

Thanks for asking : ,

No comments:

Post a Comment